|Moroccan Braised Chicken with Orange Couscous|
Used In This Recipe:
- Le Creuset 6.75 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Signature Oval French Oven *Limited Edition Black Color*
- Chef's Choice 9" Stainless Kitchen Shears
- Wusthof Classic 7" Chinese Cleaver
- Proteak End Grain Carving Board with Juice Canal
Moroccan Braised Chicken with Orange Couscous
Ingredients (Orange Couscous:
- 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups couscous
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients (Braised Chicken):
- 1 (3- or 4-pound) chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, julienned
- 1 fennel bulb, julienned
- 1 onion, peeled and julienned
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 sprigs cilantro, leaves chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 japanese eggplant, cut into large dice
- 1 zucchini, cut into large dice
- 1/3 cup Nicoise olives, pitted
Directions (Orange Couscous):
- In a large saucepan, bring orange juice and salt to a boil. Stir in the couscous and cover.
- Turn off the heat. Let steam 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Stir in olive oil.
Directions (Braised Chicken):
- Rinse the chicken under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- With poultry shears, remove the wing tips and back of the chicken. Remove the wishbone. Butcher the chicken in 10 pieces: 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings, and 4 breast pieces. Leave the bones attached.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Heat a 6 3/4 qt. oval Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Add olive oil to the heated Dutch oven. Place half of the chicken pieces in the pot, skin side down. Saute on both sides until golden-brown. Remove and reserve, and repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Pour off most of the fat from the Dutch oven. Over low heat, add the bell pepper, fennel, onion and bay leaf. Sweat until tender. Add chopped garlic and sweat 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, tomato paste and 2 teaspoons salt. Add white wine and reduce by half.
- Add chicken stock, lemon zest, lemon juice, cilantro leaves, honey and tomatoes. Place all the sauteed chicken, minus the breast pieces, into the pot. Bring to a simmer, cover, and place in the oven.
- Cook 30 minutes, then return to the stovetop.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini, olives and chicken breast. Bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and return to the oven. Cook 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve with orange couscous.