|Black Walnut and Sage Soup|
Used In This Recipe:
Black Walnut and Sage Soup
- 4 sprigs sage, divided use
- 1/2 cup diced bacon, uncooked
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium red onion, roasted & diced
- 1 cup Ohio walnuts
- 5 cups pork stock
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Tavern Vinegar Co. Red Wine Vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12-18 duck meatballs
- In a medium soup pot, over medium high-heat, brown butter, add 1/2 of the sage to the butter and cook until crispy. Remove sage and set aside. Add bacon, celery & onion to the butter. Cook until everything begins to brown (about 10 minutes) then add chopped walnuts and remaining sage.
- Once you can smell the toasted walnuts, add pork stock.
- Bring to a full boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring every few minutes to ensure the walnuts do not stick to the bottom.
- Carefully place soup into the Vitamix container until about half full and secure lid.
- Starting at the lowest speed setting, turn on the blender and slowly increase the speed until it reaches the highest speed setting.
- Remove the lid plug and pour cream and vinegar through the lid plug opening.
- Blend for 30-60 seconds or until smooth. Return to pot and repeat with remaining soup.
- Taste for seasoning. Add meatballs, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with crispy sage.